There's always an array of events happening around the various site at Rutland Water, take a look at the Rutland Water things to do and 2016 event guide here.
May Highlights: things to do
Don your walking boots, the Rutland Walking Festival is back! The popular festival is celebration of Rutland and its glorious countryside. It will showcase the beautiful countryside of Rutland with a range of exciting led walks, where walkers can take in the beauty and diversity of Rutland’s landscape, towns and villages – and with distances ranging from a short amble to a 6 mile plus rambles, there really will be something for everyone. Walks take place during the day and evening, to find out more check firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01572 720936. During week two of the Festival, you can walk the 64 mile Rutland Round across 6 days with its author John Williams.
It seems to be happy days for the Ospreys... This spring the Rutland Osprey project team are tracking satellite-tracked Ospreys in their amazing journey from Europe and America to Rutland Water. Already Rutland Water Nature Reserve has reported 19 Ospreys are in the area, and in the public nest in Manton Bay, there's now 3 eggs on it. It's all incredibly exciting! Take a look online at the fascinating webcam to keep up with developments.www.ospreys.org.uk/webcam
Quick Osprey Facts - Source: The Rutland Osprey Project
- Rutland Water is home to the first Ospreys to breed in England for 150 years
- Female Ospreys begin to lay their eggs in late April.
- The majority of Rutland Ospreys Winter in West Africa, although Some are known to have spent their winters in Southern Iberia
- Some of the birds have been tracked using satellites, charting their remarkable 3,000-mile (4,500km) journey
- An adult osprey weighs about 3.3lbs (1.5kg) and has a wingspan of about 5.5ft (1.7m).
- The Rutland Osprey Project is celebrating it's 20th Anniversary in 2016
The Rutland Belle Opens for the season and will run every weekend from Easter and every day from May. A cruise aboard the Rutland Belle allows you to enjoy the sights of Rutland Water whilst listening to commentary highlighting points of interest. The Rutland Belle can carry up to 110 passengers, with 60 places in the under-cover saloons. Drinks are available on board. Contact Rutland Belle: Whitwell Harbour, Rutland Water, Whitwell, Rutland, LE15 8BL,Tel: +44 01572 787630, Fax: +44 01572 787630
Rockingham International Horse Trials20/05/2016-22/05/2016
With something for everyone, including watersports, cycle paths, or relax with a leisurely stroll or romantic picnic.