Days Out With The Kids!
Don’t panic! There’s lots of entertaining things to do with your children in Rutland. We’ll keep your whole family busy, enjoying the great outdoors, with plenty of things to do see and do.
Top 5 things to do with kids in Rutland
- Get on your bike! There are various cycling options around Rutland Water plus Fineshade Wood have a fantastic cycling route and adventure playground
- Visit our local attractions approved by kids; get hands on at Rutland Zoo and Rutland Farm Park, or laugh and learn at Rutland Water Nature Reserve and Rocks by Rail: The Living Ironstone Museum
- FREE FUN! Our free attractions in Oakham are Rutland County Museum and Oakham Castle where you can walk between the two and spend the day enjoying the exhibitions and child friendly activities, plus Cutts Close park (with skate park) is just over the castle walls, so more hours of fun there!
- Spring and Summer bring more great things to do at Rutland Water; enjoy a cool cruise on the Rutland Belle, get your adrenaline pumping on the Rutland Aqua Park, or relax on the inland beach at Sykes Lane
- Always check what events or courses are on; especially Rutland Water Nature Reserve and Barnsdale Gardens. View the list of Family Events here.
Rutland Water’s Sykes Lane has a whole load of things on one site; an excellent childrens play area, fun mini golf course for all the family, next to the visitor centre shop and refreshement kiosk. Enjoy the fascinating invertebrates and small mammals at Rutland Zoo and in Summer you can also enjoy a paddle and a play in the sand on our extraordinary inland beach on the shores of Rutland Water.
Rutland Water’s Whitwell is where the action is with cycle hire, watersports, outdoor gym, plus the thrilling Aqua Park during the warmer months! [please note Rockblok climbing wall and treetop adventures is currently closed.]
Burghley House provides a FREE Beastly Boring Burghley children’s guidebook packed with fun tales and puzzles with every child’s House and Gardens ticket purchased.
Take part in Rutland family-friendly events and workshops – master a skill or learn something completely new!
Around the County
Rutland County Museum – join the excellent program of year round kids and family activities and plan ahead to take part during term time and school holidays.
Oakham Castle – Medieval Mondays take place every Monday of the school summer holidays. Book early for the Archery sessions & tile making workshops in the morning, and excellent drop-in crafts sessions in the afternoon.
Rutland Farm Park – a stones throw from Rutland County Museum, head down to see the animals and seasonal activities they put on during school holidays.
Barnsdale Gardens – Offer a programme of ‘Summer Sundays’ events, many of them family focused, such as ‘The Good, The Bad and The Ugly’ focusing on searching for insects, and family nature trails.
Burghley House – Don’t miss the parkland & ‘Gardens of Surprises’ that offer a fun and exhilarating day out. The Sculpture Garden Classroom has a variety of activities including a Summer Minibeast Craft workshop. Free with your Burghley House & Gardens admission.
Around Rutland Water
Watersports – learn to canoe, kayak or enjoy the thrill of driving a powerboat.
Rutland Water Nature Reserve – has an exciting calendar of family events through the summer and school holidays, including Nature Detectives & the popular Osprey Family Fun
Aqua Park Rutland – in the warmer months Rutland welcomes one of the largest inflatable obstacle water courses in the UK! Tremendous fun that will definitely wear out the whole family! Children under 11 must be accompanied by an adult. http://www.aquaparkrutland.co.uk
Stay in Rutland & Experience Nearby Family Attractions
Twinlakes Park in Melton Mowbray is a wonderful family day out packed with acres of attractions, rides and indoor play centres for the whole family. Rides include The Buffalo Stampede, Gladiators Galleon and the Creepy Critters Reptile House. Open every day, the park offers season tickets and group discounts. www.twinlakespark.co.uk
The National Space Centre in Leicester is a great day out for the family and is the largest attraction in the UK dedicated to space. There are hours of discovery and interactive fun to be enjoyed at this excellent attraction. www.spacecentre.co.uk
Sacrewell Farm & Country Centre is just over the Rutland border, off the A47 towards Peterborough. You’ll find plenty of things to keep your family entertained here. Feed the animals, hop on a tractor, race around the kart track or learn about olden day farming practises. The little ones can make friends with Bluebell the rabbit, meet Beatrice the shire horse and George the lamb, and if that’s not enough, why not explore the straw bale maze, the bygone watermill and the indoor activity barn. There’s also The Stables Restaurant and the Three Little Ducks Shop on site. www.sacrewell.org.uk