Unique, historic C17th thatched country inn offering freshly cooked, varied menu at fair prices. Outstanding venue. Charming rural Rutland village nr Oakham. Cask Marque & Tripadvisor Awards. Family friendly. Winter log fires. Summer decking. Free Wi-Fi. Bespoke weddings & celebrations. Dogs welcome in Drinks Bar.
The Blue Ball is a unique inn & restaurant offering great, homemade food, wines, ales & service at sensible prices. Often described as 'a hidden gem', The Blue Ball is located just off the main Oakham to Leicester road which runs through the idyllic village of Braunston-in-Rutland. You'll easily find it at 6 Cedar Street, opposite All Saints Church, just 2 miles from Oakham & within easy reach of Rutland Water. Put LE15 8QS in your sat nav.
Whether you want a one, two or three course meal, a light lunch or simply to sip a coffee or drink in the cosy, beamed bar - or outside on the decking overlooking the church – The Blue Ball is a pub for all seasons & reasons! For a flavour of what they offer see sample menus on their website.
Roaring log fires when it's chilly, plenty of outdoor seating when it's sunny, nooks & corners for couples, larger tables for meeting up with friends, colleagues or family, & space to host a special event or wedding,
As popular with locals as visitors - when out walking, cycling, sailing, bird watching or just escaping for a few hours or days to an unspoilt slice of rural England.
Tuesday-Saturday – Varied Menu of Modern British Cuisine & Pub Classics including steak, meat, fish, vegetarian & gluten free options plus Specials Board & children’s portions/prices. All freshly cooked, including their bread, using seasonal, local produce wherever possible. Lunchtime Stonebaked Baguettes with Handcut Chips, Coleslaw & Salad. See sample menus for an idea of the style & range on offer.
Sunday Roasts plus delicious fish & vegetarian dishes,
Live Lunchtime Jazz one Sunday per month (see website for more info)
Gift Vouchers Available from £10 upwards
Why is it called The Blue Ball? Depends who you believe…. Some say may have once been The Blue Bell and changed over time. Others say refers to the globe. However, perhaps the most plausible explanation is that Cedar Street was once the main road and, as a coaching inn, they would put a blue ball outside on a post to tell the coach to stop as passengers waiting within.
Standard Opening Hours:
Tue – Thurs: 12pm - 2.30pm / 6pm -11pm
Fri: 12pm – 2.30pm / 5.30pm – 11pm
Fri Happy Hour: 5.30pm – 6.30pm
Sat: 12pm – 11pm
Sun: 12pm – 8pm
Bank Hol Mon: Sun Opening & Food Service Hours
Lunch (Food Served)
Tues – Sat: 12pm – 2pm
Sun: 12 – 3pm ish, until it’s all gone!
Dinner (Food Served)
Tues – Sat: 6pm – 9pm
- Al fresco dining
- In countryside
- Unique venue - Rutland's Oldest Inn: C17th thatched
- Guide dogs permitted
- Menus available in large print format - on request
- Steps to main entrance
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age)
- Baby changing facilities
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Cater for vegetarians
- Catering service
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
- Special dietary requirements catered for
- Delta accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
- Available for wedding receptions
- Conference facilities
- Exclusive hire of restaurant
- Garden/patio for guests use
- Groups accepted
- Live music - Live lunchtime Jazz, one Sunday each month
- Number of covers - 70
- Number of people seated - 70
- Private rooms
- Real log/coal fires
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good67
- Emma MTrip Type:Familylovely, friendly atmosphereFriday, 24th March 2017went with a couple who had been previously and wanted to go again. Pleased they did as it was a lovely evening. Great food with lots of choice, friendly barstaff and waitresses all in a lovely... Read full review
- Karen BNorwich, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAwful Sunday Lunch on a Wednesday!!!!Tuesday, 21st March 2017This is a pretty little pub but the food I am afraid for me was dire. The specials board said roast leg of lamb.- at £13.95. (not so special then) As it was a Wednesday I didn't think I would be... Read full review
- peter528773Bourne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA super village Pub.Sunday, 12th March 2017We have not visited this idyllic pub for some considerable time and we were pleasantly surprised to find on our recent visit that the pub had retained all of the typical pub features that we... Read full review
Map & Directions
Road Directions from Oakham:
Head west on High Street B640 towards Cold Overton
Cross railway line
Turn left onto Cold Overton Road
Take 2nd left onto West Road
Continue onto Braunston Road
Continue onto Oakham Road
Slight right onto High Street
Turn left onto Cedar Street
The Ball is opposite the church.
Public Transport Directions
Public transport Directions:
Bus or train to Oakham.
Taxi to Braunston 2.2 miles.
|Open New Year|
|Blue Ball (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Standard Opening Hours Tuesday to Friday
Open: 12 noon - 2:30 pm, 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm