Overlooking Rutland Water and the undulating hills of Englands smallest county, this former 17th Century farmhouse adjacent to the estate of the Earl of Gainsborough, is an idyllic retreat for anyone wishing to escape.
Lovingly restored and at the head of a tree lined avenue, Barnsdale is located to the North of Oakham, with its well preserved Market Square (market days Wednesdays and Saturdays).
En suite bedrooms offer complete relaxation. Two are specially designed for disabled guests, some are inter-connecting or four poster and many offer panoramic views South over Rutland Water.
Barnsdale Lodge also offers 5-star self-catering breaks in our Rutland Retreats, a collection of 3-bedroom buildings with fully-fitted kitchens and open-plan living space, set in a beautiful, idyllic, natural countryside surrounding. Each Retreat comprises a master bedroom and two additional bedrooms. The master bedroom has an en-suite shower room, double wardrobe and French doors opening onto the garden. The additional bedrooms both have built-in wardrobes and doors opening out to the private gardens, and share a family bathroom..
Rutland Retreats is adjacent to Barnsdale Lodge and within easy walking distance, therefore guests can take advantage of the hotel’s on-site facilities including the hair and beauty salons, bar, lounge and restaurant, at any time of the day (advance booking is recommended).
Guests staying in a Retreat can take full advantage of Barnsdale Lodge’s concierge service (please contact reception for details on pricing and availability for our concierge services), including the following:
• “Barnsdale at Home” personal catering in your Retreat – picnics, dinner parties, BBQ’s, canapés, wine and romantic meals for two.
• Housekeeping – personal maid, laundry and other domestic services.
• Porter service – transport to and from your Retreat within the hotel grounds.
• Farm shop – food hampers delivered to your door with a range of wonderful homemade and local produce.
• Activity planning – bike hire, boat hire, fishing trips, horse riding, shooting, walking and many more water sports on Rutland Water.
• Guided tours of the local area
Dining is available in one of the three dining rooms, the conservatory or weather permitting, in the courtyard garden.
Conferences, wedding receptions, product launches and private parties take place in the separate banqueting suite and Barnsdale can cater for up to 180 guests.