If you’re planning a UK break, Rutland provides a the perfect rural escape with lots of open spaces, no busy cities and we’re full of fantastic small businesses going out of their way (and yours) to offer a safer way of doing things.
Most things are open, but all following the rule of 6, both indoors and out;
- Pubs, cafes & restaurants
- Accommodation providers
- Leisure facilities and attractions
- Shops and galleries
Know Before You Go & check each venues opening information and any new procedures, such as essential booking
If you are from a Medium covid risk area, you are able to visit whilst following the rule of 6.
If you are from a High covid risk area, you are able to visit, but only with people from your own household or bubble.
If you are from a Very High covid risk area, you are advised not to travel out of your area.
There are a number of changes on site with some facilities still closed to ensure they can continue to meet the government guidance (toilets are open). Please check the Rutland Water Park web-page to find out what is and isn’t open before you travel. Know Before You Go!
Anglian Water are asking all visitor to;
- Follow the Government guidance on social distancing when outdoors
- Be respectful of the areas around our Parks, to help protect the most vulnerable in those communities
- Please only park in the Anglian Water car parks provided, not in local villages
- Please take your litter home with you or use the bins provided
Thank you for your support.
Those with fishing season tickets and those who can launch their own watersports/sailing equipment are able to book timed slots (01780 460154). Rutland Cycling Whitwell are now offering pre-booked limited bike hire .
Rutland Water Nature Reserve has reopened with procedures in place throughout the reserve to keep you safe and adhere with social distancing guidelines
Things to do…
Outdoors in Rutland – the area is blessed with many outdoor areas to visit (not just Rutland Water!);
- Burghley House‘s Gardens and parkland are open to the public, the gardens must be pre-booked
- Rockingham Castle gardens open on Tuesdays, Wednesday & Thursdays, pre-booking essential
- Barnsdale Gardens is open to visitors
- Clipsham Yew Tree Avenue is open to visitors
- Fineshade Wood is open, but facilities are limited
- Country walks – take a look at our walking page for some suggestions on Rutland walking routes
- [Grimsthorpe Castle grounds remain closed – Aqua Park is postponed until 2021 – Tolethorpe Hall theatre is postponed until 2021]
Playing golf in Rutland! – Government guidelines suggests ‘safe sport’ where you can adhere to social distancing, this includes golf, cycling, tennis, fishing, canoeing, surfing and sailing (where facilities are open).
Rutland Water Golf Course is open to members and non-members, pre-booking is essential, click on the link on their name for more details.
Greetham Valley Golf Course is now open to members and their guests.
Garden Centres are open with safety measures in place;
Many of our fantastic local shops have adjusted to government guidelines opened their doors. A new website www.rutlandwelcomesyou.co.uk has been set up by Rutland County Council, Oakham Town Council and Uppingham Town Council to help you plan your trip.
Reconnect with family & friends with a weekend break in Rutland after lockdown
With a great central location, just 100 miles from both London and York, Rutland is easy to get to, making it ideal to gather family and friends from around England for a holiday after lockdown! With countryside walks, large gardens and the extensive and beautiful open spaces around Rutland Water, there are lots of options available.
Plan Now, Travel Later
Rural accommodation for your UK break after lock-down
If you’re itching to get your caravan out, Rutland can offer you a choice of a small adult only campsite at Greendale Farm Park, or a family friendly site with play-area and indoor pool at Rutland Caravan & Camping.
Many Rutland self catering properties and glamping sites can offer a contact free holiday after lockdown – remember you can book food delivery from our fantastic local shops listed on our Shop Local Online page.
Plan your local UK break after lockdown