Welcome to the trade section of the Discover Rutland website.
Here you can keep up to date with the latest information and opportunities happening within our industry…
Support during the Covid-19 Crisis
We hope you find the information links below useful during this unsettling time;
Rutland County Council – Covid-19 Community Information, Advice and Support Hub includes links to their dedicated crisis helpline for anyone in Rutland who needs help, plus updated advice for residents and businesses, including information on funding, rates relief, and other advice.
VisitBritain Business Advice Hub: Helping your tourism business to grow – with practical tips, legal obligations and local support. This includes the latest industry advice on Covid-19, and also guidence on preparing your business for Brexit.
VisitBritain are providing free online recovery webinars to assist tourism businesses, you can watch past webinars and sign up to benefit from future ones.
Latest Updates from Discover Rutland
- We held our online Annual Tourism Forum on Monday 30th November, DR tourism industry Forum 2020 pdf, more information further down this page.
- We’ve been awarded some funding from RCC’s Section 106 pot to support a reactive marketing campaign consisting of numerous stages, including immediate ‘reassurance’ marketing to encourage consumers to keep supporting local businesses (with the ability to adapt messages depending on changes to government advice) and a future national campaign to encourage UK Staycations.
- We are pleased to announce that we are working with Rural Roots Media to increase our digital marketing footprint – Megan may be in touch with members for information
- We have introduced a direct debit payment option for our membership, which can be either paid quarterly or annually. Not only will this give you more financial flexibility, it will streamline our renewal process, so we can spend more time promoting your business.
- NEW Rutland Food & Drink Map with cycling route is now available, use the online version or collect the map pads from Rutland Water Visitor Centre at Sykes Lane (entrance to the site is free for 15 minutes) #thecountyofgoodtaste #discoverrutlandfood
- An Instagram survey by self-catering experts Lakelovers saw Rutland voted as the 4th best destination for socially-distant Staycations in the UK – so well done to all of you!
Become a Discover Rutland Member
There are many benefits to becoming a member, such as a listing on this website, marketing opportunities through our e-newsletters and other promotions throughout the year plus discounts on advertising in our publications. You will also get a Discover Rutland membership window sticker(!)
Funds raised through membership go towards sustaining tourism in Rutland.
Download the Discover Rutland membership benefits pack here
Download themembership application form & the associate application form here and return to [email protected]
10 reasons why to become a member:
- Get support from the Tourism Officer & Management Committee & Give Support and work alongside many local businesses to promote Rutland as a great tourism destination
- We’re stronger together!
- Website listing on Rutland’s official tourism site which attracts 15,000 visitors every month
- Visitor Guide inclusion in the members list PLUS discounts on advertising
- Priority for inclusion in press releases & PR visits
- Invitations to networking events & opportunities for sharing ideas, challenges & solutions with like-minded businesses
- Raise your profile through our social media activities & through additional marketing campaigns
- Highlight your offers/news/events through our eNewsletters
- Promote your business to Rutland residents through local events & campaigns
- Be part of the Discover Rutland community and share industry news & useful information (we share scam warnings which have helped many businesses avoid financial loss)
- Help this wonderful county to be heard alongside other great British destinations
Testimonials; This is what our existing members say about Discover Rutland:
- Nick Hamilton, Barnsdale Gardens: As one of the main tourist attractions in Rutland there is no ques-tion that our business has benefited greatly from the help and assistance we get from being a member of Discover Rutland. We certainly could not afford the press coverage they are able to generate for us and/or other members, as well as those benefits gained from being able to work together as part of a group to achieve the best for every member. We have always been clear that, in this small county, we are able to achieve a lot by working together and membership of Discover Rutland gives us the best platform to real-ise our ambitions.
- The Blue Ball at Braunston: We continue to be members of Discover Rutland because it’s the best way to reach visitors to Rutland.
- Beaver Inns, Uppingham: Being part of the Discover Rutland Membership scheme has created an excel-lent platform for our three businesses. The inclusion on the website, and opportunity to edit your establish-ment’s site, especially with regard to promotions and special events has been invaluable. In addition, the Discover Rutland events which our membership entitles us to, have been an excellent way to not only demonstrate our offering at The Falcon Hotel, Don Paddy’s and The Vaults, but also to unite the all that Rutland has to offer.
- Hambleton Hall: We can see that Rutland is being recognised more and more in London as a ‘quality’ destination, and a location to rival the Cotswolds, and we congratulate Discover Rutland on the work being done towards this. We travel internationally to promote Hambleton Hall and having Discover Rutland as a strong brand helps us, it is a great benefit to have confidence in the county as well as our product.
If you have any questions about becoming a member then get in touch with Mary, Discover Rutland Tourism Officer: [email protected]
Discover Rutland Tourism Forum 2020
The Discover Rutland Tourism Committee held their annual forum via zoom on Monday 30th November 2020 with an open invite to anyone with an interest in local tourism to hear the committee report on the past 12 months and the plans for the coming year, plus our guest speaker from VisitEngland, William Smart, speak about national objectives and how we can get involved.
View the slides from the 2020 Tourism Forum here
Presented by Jason Allen, Chair of Discover Rutland | James Torbell and Ben Jones from the Discover Rutland Management Committee | Mary Copley, Tourism Officer | Will Smart, VisitEngland
There are many exciting opportunities to advertise through Discover Rutland.
This full media pack was put together by Nimble Media, a local company based in Oakham, who provide support to Discover Rutland by producing the visitor guide. Discover Rutland want to ensure their members and advertisers are supported as best they can, and as the Tourism Officer role is 18.5 hours a week, working with Nimble Media on key projects is essential to continue offering a quality service.
Discover Rutland Visitor Guide
You can view an online version of the latest Discover Rutland Guide here.
This is a bi-annual publication produced, designed and written by Nimble Media Ltd in association with Discover Rutland. If you wish to discuss advertising in the guide, please contact Tracy at Nimble Media: [email protected] | 0845 1 700 300 | 40 Melton Road, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6AY
If you are interested in having a website banner here on Discover-Rutland.co.uk email [email protected]
Who and What is Discover Rutland
Discover Rutland is the destination and promotional brand for tourism in Rutland, with it’s activity determined by the Discover Rutland Management Committee. To help explain the structure of Discover Rutland, we have produced these (hopefully) useful charts:
View the Discover Rutland structure which explains how the Discover Rutland brand is managed. For more information about the Discover Rutland Management Committee and the full Tourism Committee, see links below;
The Discover Rutland Management Committee are supported by the wider Discover Rutland Tourism Committee, who engage through sub-group meetings and all meet twice a year at a seasonal summit to coincide with the launch of each visitor guide.
Please find a list of Tourism Committee Members here.
The Discover Rutland Tourism Committee’s mission is; “to develop and grow a sustainable tourism economy in Rutland through brand awareness, income generation and partnership working.”
Rutland Tourism Data from STEAM
Discover Rutland has been tracking tourism data using STEAM (Scarborough Tourism Economic Activity Monitor) since 2008. The latest results for 2019 data were received in 2020 and can be seen below. Here are some headlines (note that visitors to Rutland Water were drastically reduced during 2019 due to an algae problem):
> Economic impact of tourism in Rutland in 2019: £142 million (up 4.7% on 2018)
> Visitor numbers in Rutland in 2019: 1.868 million (down 1.4% on 2018)
> Employment supported by tourism in Rutland (full time equivalent): 1,772 (up 1.1% on 2018)
STEAM is derived from a model and provides Local, Regional and National Governments in the UK and Internationally with timely estimates of the monthly and annual value, volume and impact of tourism in specified areas.
Rutland Tourism Strategy 2020 – 2025
There is a five year tourism strategy which was written by the Discover Rutland Tourism Committee in partnership with Rutland County Council, to lead the work of Discover Rutland.
Published in August 2016, after the Brexit decision, the governments tourism action plan sees the implementation of more ‘common sense’ regulation, which allows B&B proprietors to collect guests from the stations, provide a free bottle of wine in a welcome pack without the previously required licenses.