Green Tourism Toolkit
Green Tourism, what is it?
Green, responsible, or sustainable tourism is about “making better places for people to live and better places for people to visit”.
As key stakeholders within the industry, it is important that you take an active role in contributing towards green tourism by working towards minimising tourism’s negative social, economic, and environmental impacts and creating more enjoyable experiences, which foster greater understanding of local culture, society, and environment.
Why is it important for my business?
Green tourism benefits all stakeholders. Investing time and/or money into improving the sustainability of your business has been shown to have five key benefits.
1. Address changing consumer trends
2. Attract and retain the best staff
3. Reduce operational costs
4. Reduce your negative environmental impact
5. Help ensure your local area thrives
Support during the Covid-19 Crisis
We hope you find the information links below useful during this unsettling time;
Rutland County Council – Covid-19 Community Information, Advice and Support Hub includes links to their dedicated crisis helpline for anyone in Rutland who needs help, plus updated advice for residents and businesses, including information on funding, rates relief, and other advice.
VisitBritain Business Advice Hub: Helping your tourism business to grow – with practical tips, legal obligations and local support. This includes the latest industry advice on Covid-19, and also guidence on preparing your business for Brexit.
Apply for VisitBritian’s free new industry standard ‘We’re Good to Go’ which is now linked to the World Travel & Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travel’ standard
VisitBritain are providing free online recovery webinars to assist tourism businesses, you can watch past webinars and sign up to benefit from future ones.
Download FREE posters to assist with the April 12th re-opening (let Mary know if you need others adding)
View the Discover Rutland Marketing Campaign – Covid Recovery here, written in October 2020
Latest Updates from Discover Rutland
- 83% of Brits opt for UK staycation; national survey available researching travel plans
- We’ve been awarded some funding from RCC’s Section 106 pot to support a reactive marketing campaign consisting of numerous stages, including immediate ‘reassurance’ marketing to encourage consumers to keep supporting local businesses (with the ability to adapt messages depending on changes to government advice) and a future national campaign to encourage UK Staycations.
- We are pleased to announce that we are working with Rural Roots Media to increase our digital marketing footprint – Megan may be in touch with members for information
- We have introduced a direct debit payment option for our membership, which can be either paid quarterly or annually. Not only will this give you more financial flexibility, it will streamline our renewal process, so we can spend more time promoting your business.
- We held our online Annual Tourism Forum on Monday 30th November, DR tourism industry Forum 2020 pdf, more information further down this page.
- NEW Rutland Food & Drink Map with cycling route is now available, use the online version or collect the map pads from Rutland Water Visitor Centre at Sykes Lane (entrance to the site is free for 15 minutes) #thecountyofgoodtaste #discoverrutlandfood
- An Instagram survey by self-catering experts Lakelovers saw Rutland voted as the 4th best destination for socially-distant Staycations in the UK – so well done to all of you!
There are many exciting opportunities to advertise through Discover Rutland.
This full media pack was put together by Nimble Media, a local company based in Oakham, who provide support to Discover Rutland by producing the visitor guide. Discover Rutland want to ensure their members and advertisers are supported as best they can, and as the Tourism Officer role is 18.5 hours a week, working with Nimble Media on key projects is essential to continue offering a quality service.
Discover Rutland Visitor Guide
You can view an online version of the latest Discover Rutland Guide here.
This is a bi-annual publication produced, designed and written by Nimble Media Ltd in association with Discover Rutland. If you wish to discuss advertising in the guide, please contact Tracy at Nimble Media: [email protected] | 0845 1 700 300 | 40 Melton Road, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6AY
If you are interested in having a website banner here on Discover-Rutland.co.uk email [email protected]